How to Add Your Website to Google Search Console Easily
The fastest, easiest way to add your website to Google Search Console is by using the Yoast SEO plugin. I'll show you step-by-step below how to add your website to Google Search Console so you can understand and improve how Google sees your website.
Why you should have Google Search Console
Google Search Console is a free tool that enables you to see:
- How often your site appears in Google Search.
- Which search queries show your website.
- How often searchers click through for those queries.
- Which websites link to your website.
- Ensure your website is mobile friendly.
- And so much more.
Before we jump into the instructions for adding your website to Google Search Console, go to your WordPress Dashboard and check your plugins to make sure you have the Yoast SEO plugin installed.
1. Sign up for Google Search Console
Go to Google Search Console and click "Start now". Then Sign in or click "Create account" if you don't have a Google Account.
2. Create property + copy HTML tag
Click on Search property at the top, then scroll down and click Add Property.
Enter your website URL in the URL prefix box and click Continue. In the next box, you'll want to minimize the first HTML file drop-down, and open the HTML tag drop-down. Highlight and copy the HTML tag (in pink in the image below).
3. Paste HTML tag in Yoast SEO
Go to your WordPress Dashboard. Under the Yoast SEO menu, click General, then click on the Webmaster Tools tab at the top. Paste the HTML tag in the Google verification code box, then click Save changes.
4. Go back to Google Search Console to verify ownership
Go back to Google Search Console and click the Verify button. Next, you'll see an Ownership verified screen. You've successfully added your website to Google Search Console!